"We Don't Know How Lucky We Are"

About: Royal Derby Hospital

Anything else?

It is not my habit to write online reviews but having recently experienced at first hand so many facets of the types of care and treatment provided at the Royal Derby Hospital I feel compelled to put on record my total satisfaction with my experience. Having succumbed to a massive gastric haemorrhage on the evening of October 19th I was rushed (at my request) to the Royal Derby Accident and Emergency Department where I was examined almost immediately by a Doctor. Very shortly afterwards I was admitted to an Assessment Ward where my treatment began and where, before daybreak, I was actually visited and assessed by three different Doctors. Next morning saw me transferred to a Medical Ward and before the day was out I had had an Endoscopic Investigation and a CT Scan had been arranged. As a result of these tests and less than 72 hours after admittance I was diagnosed with a gastric tumour and for the whole of the investigatory period I had been carefully tended and monitored by medical and nursing staff alike. After three more days of recuperative care, during which time all aspects of my problem were sensitively discussed and explained to me by my Medical Consultant, and feeling much improved and able to cope, I was discharged whilst my case was referred for treatment by a Surgical Consultant who was named to me before I went home. Only ten days elapsed before I was given a date to meet with that Consultant Surgeon and that meeting took place just seventeen days after my emergency admittance. The recommended procedure for the removal of my tumour and the expected outcomes were explained to me in considerate detail and I returned home most reassured after a pre-operative examination had been arranged for me a mere two days later. The next day I was called at home by my Consultant’s Secretary to let me know that fortuitously an opportunity had arisen for the procedure for the removal of my tumour to take place in just two day’s time. I was overjoyed by this turn of events! Thus it was, only twenty days after I was laid low by it, and after some gentle and welcome humour from the Anaesthetist in attendance, my tumour was removed and I was on my way to recovery. The Consultant even 'phoned my Wife to tell her all had gone well. After three days of meticulous care by the staff of a Surgical Ward, during which I had detailed and careful Fluoroscopic and Xray checks, I was discharged just twenty eight days to the day after my initial emergency admittance. My one regret is that I am now finding totally inadequate the words I am using to express my gratitude and deepest regard for the Royal Derby Hospital and its Staff who treated and cared for me. At every step of my four week journey I was tended considerately by all involved and everyone seemed truly interested in me and my recovery.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Royal Derby Hospital

Many thanks for such kind and reassuring comments. It is always nice to hear such positive feedback from the patients under our care and I will ensure that this is shared with all the staff concerned as I am sure they will be most appreciative. I was also very pleased to hear that your diagnosis and treatment was so timely and that you are now recovering well. Many thanks once again, for taking the time to provide us with your experience feedback and may I take this opportunity to offer you my sincere best wishes for the future. Kind regards Deborah Furness from the Derby Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Patient Experience Team

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story