"One rule for one and another for another"

About: North West Boroughs Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

(as the patient),

I have had mental problems and have always had to fight for proper care. Yet a patient I know gets whatever she wants because she knows a main manager at 5 Boroughs Partnership Trust. She has been getting better treatment and she says she can get whatever she wants because she just rings him on his phone. She proved it when the doctors said she had to go home, but said she rang the manager she knows, who told them she had to stay in hospital. Good luck to her but I can't ring him up and get what I want. If she isn't being treated better than me, then why has she got his mobile number and why has he visited her in hospital. If she isn't getting better treatment than me, then he should give every patient his mobile number so we can ring him if we are unhappy. If this does not happen, then it proves he is getting her better care. It stinks!

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from

Thank you for your posting. Your main concern appears to be that a fellow patient has access to preferential treatment because she is able to ring a senior manager on their mobile. At the Trust, senior managers, including Board members, regularly visit the clinical environment and regularly meet with service users and carers, we believe this is a positive development. The Trust has an established group of service users and carer representatives, and a number of those people either sit on formal committees of the Trust or are representatives of other organisations that have links with the Trust. It would, therefore, not be unusual for some people who have such roles to have contact details of senior managers and be able to contact them, we view this as a positive development. Knowing a senior manager should not, however, give individuals access to preferential treatment. Decisions relating to clinical care clearly rest with clinicians and should be based on clinical need. I am not clear from your posting if you are dissatisfied with your own care, you may wish to contact Maria Slater, Head of Service at St Helens to discuss this or alternatively contact our PALS service or make a formal complaint about your care through the NHS Complaints process.
  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful