"Breast cancer care"

About: University Hospital Lewisham

Anything else?

Between August and October 2013 I was admitted twice to Lewisham Hospital as an emergency. On the first occasion I was diagnosed with neutropaenic sepsis and on the second occasion I was suspected to have a blood clot in my arm. In August, I was sent to A&E by the Guy’s on-call oncology registrar because of high temperature. I was told by the oncologist from Guy’s hospital that I would be treated quickly as he will inform them of them. When I arrived at the Lewisham Hospital A&E reception I was not expected and had to wait. After another phone call to the oncologist, things went smoothly, the doctors and nurses did a great job and I was transferred to Laurel ward around 1.30am. I was told that the next day I would have a scan of my breast as my wound was the source of the infection. The next morning, the admitting consultant confirmed that I needed a scan during and that I was booked to have it very soon. The ward nurses were very busy, one of them not very polite; unfortunately my antibiotics were administered at irregular intervals and after pressing a buzzer I always had to wait much longer than I wished. I kept asking about my scan but nobody knew when it was going to happen. My wound redness was spreading so I really wanted to find out more and how this was going to be treated. None of the staff members could give me the answer. After 4 days of waiting I spoke to the ward manager and said that I would complain. I had the scan within an hour. Luckily at that time the consultant from Guy’s Hospital, who did my surgery, was consulting patients at Lewisham and after having the scan I was seen by him and only he was able to answer all my questions related to my illness. I was eventually discharged at 11 o’clock in the morning on day eight with some oral antibiotics to take home. Unfortunately I was not able to go home on that day because my medications were not on the ward untill 7 pm! By that time I got again a temperature 37.8*C and I was worried that if my temperature would increase and I would have to go again through A&E to come back to the hospital. I asked to stay overnight in the hospital for another blood test in the morning which I had. In September I was admitted to the Lewisham hospital again. After seeing my GP, I was sent to hospital suspecting a blood clot in my left arm. I arrived in A&E at 1pm so I believe there was plenty of time to do my scan instead of waiting till 6pm to be assessed without the scan and admitted me to the ward. I stayed on the assessment ward over the night along with patients with chest infections. In summary, I’m happy with my clinical outcome as I am now well as a result of the treatment provided at Lewisham, but I would be grateful if I could be assessed more timely in the future with better communication between different staff members.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from University Hospital Lewisham

We are very sorry you are unhappy with your experience at University Hospital Lewisham. Please can you contact our PALs team on 020 8333 3355 who will assist you further. Glen Davidson Patient Experience Manager University Hospital Lewisham Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story