"Ongoing care"

About: Salford Royal / Cardiology Salford Royal / Neurology Tameside

(as a staff member),

This story has been posted by Healthwatch Tameside on behalf of a member of the public who asked not to have their name published. They said…

Age 19 had stroke and other illnesses including heart attack. Not happy because been fighting for 2 years to get funding for David Lewis Community Housing at hospital. She thinks this is too long and is costing the NHS much more than it would Social Services. Tests she has are expensive and she feels she is getting nowhere.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Stroke Association, Stroke Association

We noticed your post and thought you may be interested to hear about the work of the Stroke Association and how we may be able to help. Stroke Association is the leading charity in the UK changing the world for people affected by stroke.

Our Stroke Helpline is there for anyone who has been affected by stroke in any way. You may want to know more about stroke and its effects, be looking for practical information and support, or simply someone to talk to. The Stroke Helpline is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm on 0303 30 33 100. You can also email us at info@stroke.org.uk. We also have a range of services across the UK, providing information, advice and support to stroke survivors and their families. You can find out if there is a service in your area by contacting the Helpline.

Finally, you can also find lots of information about stroke on our website at www.stroke.org.uk. You can read about our services, read or listen to other people’s experiences and download all of our publications free of charge. There is news about our campaigns to improve services for stroke survivors, national and local events and our research programmes. You can also join the Talkstroke discussion group where you can share your experiences with other people who have been affected by stroke.

I hope that this is helpful and that you are now getting the support that you need to make the best recovery possible.

Stroke Information Service


Stroke Association staff are not medically trained and the information provided does not replace information given to you by your own healthcare provider.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Response from Peter Denton, Healthwatch Manager, Healthwatch Tameside

Thanks for your response. Although the person who told us about this experience asked to remain anonymous, we have their contact details and will pass your response on to them.

Peter Denton

Manager, Healthwatch Tameside

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Response from Salford Royal

Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately without any further details of the case, it would be difficult to begin to comment further on this; however, from the limited information provided, it does not appear that Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust would be able to address this problem. The services this person is attempting to access (David Lewis Community Housing). Funding issues for NHS services are generally the responsibility of the Clinical Commissioning Group (previously the PCT) for the area in which the person lives, and NHS England, not individual hospitals. For Social Care, the responsibility rests with the local authority. If there are any concerns with the care received from Salford Royal, I would encourage the patient to contact our PALS service for further advice (pals@srft.nhs.uk)

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story