"lack of care on return home."

About: Good Hope Hospital

Anything else?

My partner has stomach and liver cancer, and was taken to Good Hope hospital on Tuesday evening 15th October after a very painful day. A&E work as quick as they can, but we still waited for more than 4 hours before he was taken to a ward early in the morning. The care he had in the first ward was was excellent, but one of the nurses in the second ward very loudly said that she wouldn't let him go to the toilet by zimmer because he was on oxygen, and gets out of breath, even though he can manage short trips. He was distressed at this and had to use a bottle. He stayed in at the weekend, when no doctors are available to check on his condition, and I met with the doctor on Monday morning 22nd October at 9.45am and said that I wanted him back home immediately, The doctor said that he could go home as time was precious and he should be made comfortable for the little time he had. The oxygen company delivered the oxygen machine as soon as I got home at mid day, and the bed and other equipment arrived by 2pm. A nurse rang to check that all was ready for him to come home. All this time, my partner sat by his bed waiting. I rang twice to check on when he was coming home. and was told that they were waiting for medication (always, always a long wait) and for the ambulance. which could be 4 hours! He finally arrived back home at 8 o'clock, in the dark and cold and rain. He wasn't sent home comfortable in an ambulance, he was in an ambulance bus. Sitting on a single seat, connected to oxygen, hanging on to the seat in front, with no slippers or warm dressing gown on (they were in the plastic bag) wearing his pyjamas and just a hospital blanket round his shoulders. He was cold, disorientated, had been shaken up on the way home, shivering, and totally upset. He had been mainly asleep in bed for his stay in hospital, and needs to be kept warm and calm, and this was how the ward sent him home, no slippers and no warm clothing. He is 72, extremely ill, with cancer, and no care was taken for his return home. It took some time for me to warm him up and convince him that he was home and safe. Please note the timings of the day when he came home. It was a very long day for him. If he hadn't been attached to oxygen, then I would have taken him home myself and at least made sure that he was comfortable and warm on the journey. I know I am a lone voice, but I am an extremely annoyed and angry voice.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Iona Belgrove, Patient Services Manager, Heart Of England NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Anonymous

I was sorry to read that your Partner had that experience at Good Hope Hospital. I have passed your email onto the Head Nurse and Managing Director to investigate how this happened and, more importantly, to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Could I please ask for you to contact me at Patient Services as I will need further information for the hospital to investigate your case. My contact details are 0121 424 0808 or email address is iona.belgrove@heartofengland.nhs.uk

Best wishes


  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Response from Good Hope Hospital

I am really sorry to read of the experiences your partner had whilst in our hospital and following his discharge. Could I please ask that you contact me on 0121 424 0808 or email me at iona.belgrove@heartofengland.nhs.uk so that I can obtain a few further details and investigate the issues you have raised. Kind regards Iona Belgrove Patient Services Manager

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story