"Elderly care while in Hospital"
About: Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital / Older people's healthcare Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital Older people's healthcare NR4 7UY
Posted by Furosemide boy (as ),
My 89 year old Father admitted into hospital with congestive heart failure. (Not a new diagnosis). The reason for admission was to remove water by diuretics from his swollen legs. He is a resident of a care home. IV furosemide was administered and water intake vs output recorded. Very successful results were obtained given the circumstances of his health. However I believe the care he received has to be in doubt.
1. Pain relief for Hip, 1g paracetamol QDS not administered. (Only 1g per day! )
2. Left sitting in chair for hours at a time in pain.
3. Catheter bag on two or more occasions left on top rung of walking frame and clearly above bladder. Possibly for a whole morning.
4. Nursing staff were informed by me about paracetamol requirements and Hip problems and the fact that he needs to sit on an inflated cushion to avoid pain. This seemed to be totally ignored.
5. He entered hospital an optimistic elderly man after a week on the ward he was in severe discomfort, distressed/confused and no longer in good spirits.
6. I had to 'explode' to get him back into his bed after he was almost crying in pain when it was finally recoqnised he was in pain and needed constant pain relief.