"Because I could not state my sons residing address I was not allowed to sign for him"

About: University Hospital (Coventry)

(as a parent/guardian),

My ex called to ask if I could take our son to his appointment at the dentist, as she had to take her newborn baby to the hospital.

I called in work to let them know I couldn’t make it in and then went to take my son for his appointment. On arrival the receptionist asked me for my sons address, I did not know the address where he and his mother reside so therefore I could not tell her. I tried to explain we had been through a divorce and both kept our now personal details private.

So because I could not state my sons residing address I was not allowed to sign for him, even though I am his father. We were turned away again and had to rearrange, this is a major inconvenience to me, son and ex-wife. This means we all need to rearrange our days and I may need to take more time off of work.

How is it acceptable to turn a father and son away? Surly there should be more procedures in place for parents who are divorced and live at different addresses, if so I would like to know these.

Additionally this system can cause great embarrassment and further confusion to a child already adjusting to life with parents in separate living places.

I would have thought that an organisation such as the NHS which has been running this long would have these provisions in place.

More about:
Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Daniel Ibeziako, Communications Manager, Communications, University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust We are preparing to make a change

Thank you for providing feedback on your son’s recent appointment at the dental clinic at University Hospital, Coventry in September 2013.

I am very sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the experience especially as you were turned away due to the fact that you did not know the address of your son’s residence. Generally a parent will know where their child resides even when separated from their partner; however we understand that this will not always be the case. The issue has been raised with the safeguarding team to discuss what can be done to help parents in this situation in the future.

In the meantime we would very much welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you. If you feel this would be useful please contact the Trust’s Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 0800 028 4203. If you would prefer to contact us by e-mail, our address is feedback@uhcw.nhs.uk

Alternatively, you can write to us at the following address: -


University Hospital

Clifford Bridge Road



If you do decide to contact us, please make us aware that you have left comments on the Patient Opinion website.

The Trust is grateful for all feedback, positive or negative, as it means we can better understand what is important to our patients.

Thank you for leaving your comments on Patient Opinion.

Communications Team

University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust

Telephone 0800 028 4203

  • {{helpful}} of {{total()}} people think this response is helpful

Response from Janet Hayes-Hall, Dental LPN Chair(interim), Arden Herefordshire and Worcestershire Area Team We are preparing to make a change

The Dental Local Professional Network for NHS England area team Arden Hereford and Worcester.Our NHS Networks site is at http://www.networks.nhs.uk/nhs-networks/dental-lpn-for-arden-hereford-and-worcestershire

We will look at this and try and find a way of resolving this issue which has occurred before.

This circumstance is also difficult for practitioners trying to run practices according to a variety of instructions from CQC, GDC and NHS.

  • {{helpful}} of {{total()}} people think this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story