"A9 Medical Assessment Unit /disorganised shambles"

About: New Cross Hospital

Anything else?

My disabled husband was admited to A9 on 27 August due to anal bleeding. From entering the A&E to getting on to the ward took approximately 6 hours which we found acceptable. He was given a chest and stomach x ray at 11pm. At 8am next morning after a quick pressing on of the stomach he was discharged and told he would have a colonoscopy as an out patient. Once home he was in great discomfort due to wanting to open his bowels and being unable to,this carried on throughout the night and next morning. I rang A9 around 1pm on the 29 August who told me to bring him back to the ward. We waited until 4.30pm before being allowed onto the ward,until 6.30pm before seeing a doctor and until 9.15pm before a treatment room was available to give my husband a much needed enema. The treatment went well and the doctor was not overly concerned about how much blood he was losing so he was discharged at 11pm. My concern is that this simple procedure could have been diagnosed in the A&E or on admittance to A9, the time we waited and the "shirty" attitude from the staff when I pressed them to see my husband. Add to this the other sick people waiting to be seen, a girl throwing up continously in the waiting room who had come to go on a drip and waited 5 hours, and the old gentleman who was in so much pain he took to lying on the waiting room floor and was still there at 11pm, our experience was unsavoury to say the least. My husband was not assessed for falls and I was not offered any help on discharge,I struggled as I am on the waiting list myself for a hip replacement.

Response from Jamie Emery, Patient Experience Lead, The Royal Wolverhampton Hospitals NHS Trust

I was sorry to read your comments relating to your husband's patient experience on Ward A9.

Kindest regards

Response from New Cross Hospital

Thank you for your comments that you shared regarding your husband's experience at our hospital. If you would like to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01902 695362 to discuss your concerns further, they would be happy to look into this for you. Kindest regards Jamie Emery Patient Experience Lead

Updates, changes and questions related to this story