"Maternity Unit"

About: Royal Free Hospital

Anything else?

I was in the Labour Ward for 3 days with my daughter in law her waters broke on Sunday 11th August 2013. Got to the hospital where they kept her in. The following day she was induced and the contractions started. She was screaming she was in a lot of pain the monitor was showing 117 to 120 contractions they gave her nothing they ignored our pleas for something to ease the pain at one point the midwife in charge hugged me and told not to worry this is normal for a first birth. I was very annoyed I have had 3 children at the Royal Free but I was lucky I had no complications this did not seem normal to me. In the meantime they gave her pethadine x 2 and gas and painkillers. She was still in agony and only dilated 1cm. I again said this cannot be normal maybe she should have a C Section the midwife laughed at me and said absolutely not. First baby and because she was induced this is normal. At mid night they took into the Labour Ward she had dilated 2cm by this time. She was examined and put on Epidural she was exhausted the contractions were coming but not so frequent and not as high. I again asked the midwife (a different one from the ward before) about a C Section she said no that was not going to happen. My daughter in law by this time was exhausted very swollen and had drips with medicine to help the cervix to dilate still after many hours she had dilated 2.cm. At 11.00 am I was very worried because the monitor with the baby's heart beat was very faint and the midwife assured me (a different midwife by now) nothing was wrong. The Dr came and I said to my son insist on a C Section because I am very concerned that this was not normal and these people do not know what they are doing. He did that and the Dr said she will check her again at 2.00pm and make a decision. At 2.00 pm a decision was made to do a C Section this was on the 13th August 2013. Baby was delivered by C Section, I was in the room the baby came out blue cried a little and then stopped crying. The baby stopped breathing!! eventually they helped the baby to breath with oxygen. Thank God the baby is now fine she had to go on antibiotics for 3 days. My daughter in law was left for so long that the placenta actually stank and that is why the baby had to be on antibiotics for 3 days. All is well now but I am disgusted with the care she received and I felt responsible that I asked her to go to the Royal Free because I had my children there. I have never seen such uncaring unsympathetic and incompetent people in my life!!! One more thing on the day they discharged her we were waiting for hours. The Dr discharged her but the midwife was taking her time. When I tried to ask her I was ignored. She was on a personal call on her mobile and ignored me then some lady came that used to work there they hugged and kissed and talked whilst all this time my daughter in law with baby in her arms is standing there waiting for her paperwork. I am disgusted!!!

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Royal Free Hospital

Extremely sorry to hear about this. Please could you email rfh.communications@nhs.net with your contact details as the maternity team are keen to discuss this further. Many thanks.

  • {{helpful}} of {{total()}} people think this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story