"I do not feel that I saw the right people to diagnose and treat my condition"

About: Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust

(as the patient),

I went to see my GP in October after noticing some inflammation around my right knee. I was advised by my GP to stop running and to come back again to see if there was any change. I returned with still the same issue at which point my GP recommended an x-ray.

The x-ray results showed no issues with the bones, but I was asked to be referred to an orthopeadic consultant. When my appointment came through I had been referred to a physiotherapist!

I saw the physiotherapist who examined my knee and amongst other comments said he couldn't see any reason why I shouldn't start running again! He referred me to a consultant dealing in orthotics. I didn't take his advice regarding running as I have having discomfort walking!

I saw the consultant in orthotics who gave me some insoles to try in my right shoe to try and alleviate the discomfort. I tried this for a while but this has only caused me more pain! At this point it was April and I decided to use my private medical insurance that I receive through my work and saw a specialist knee consultant.

After seeing him, I had a MRI scan revealing a torn meniscus/synovial overgrowth and a loose body causing inflammation.

I have consequently had an arthroscopy/chardoplasty and synovial biopsy. I appreciate that NHS took a step wise approach to my care, however I do not feel that I saw the right people to diagnose and treat my condition.

Consequently, I was left in a large degree of pain for a prolonged amount of time, and this I feel was not acceptable.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Jayne Kruszewski, Customer Relations Manager, Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Patient

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on the website. I was sorry to note that you are dissatisfied with your care and treatment, and that you were left in pain for a long time.

Can I ask you to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 01271 314090, as they will be happy to look into your treatment and care, and address your concerns once they have more personal details. Alternatively you may want to visit the Trusts' website and complete a feedback form, to raise your concerns.

In the meantime please accept my sincere apologies for the pain you sufferred.

Many thanks


  • {{helpful}} of {{total()}} people think this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story