"My admission on the Acute Medical Ward NNUH"

About: Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital / General medicine

(as the patient),

I am writing concerning my admittance on the Acute Medical Ward recently.

Background information: I called the ambulance service at 4:00am and they arrived within 10 minutes which was excellent, they gave me the usual tests, and they seemed to be ok, but because of my history the paramedics felt it best to take me to the NNUH.

I arrived at the A&E and I was taken care of very well. The doctor was excellent and very thorough, the blood test came back negative and also the chest xray was ok. After a couple of hours I was given another blood test and that also was ok. The Doctor decided to admit me to the Acute Medical ward just as a precaution and said that they will do another blood test and then discharge me and I should be on my way home around lunch time.

I was admitted to Acute Medical Ward, I was given another blood test, which came back negative, then another blood test which again came back negative. My daughter and partner came to collect me and my wife to take us both home, they waited nearly 2 hours and then the doctor came with the last blood test results to say that the Cardiologist would like to do another blood test within a couple of hours. The doctor did say they didn’t agree and if it was up to them, they would have discharged me. I was also surprised as all the blood tests came back negative.

My daughter had left our Grandchildren with a sitter and also she is pregnant and could not wait another two/three hours as she was getting uncomfortable, also my Son-In-law was on call for the fire service and my wife had been at the hospital since 4:00am, not even been offered a drink, she shared mine when I had been given one.

I told the doctor that I would struggle to get lift home if the family had to go, however the doctor assured us that I would have transport to take me home, as soon as the test results came back. I did say is that for sure and they said yes, went to the reception desk and said that I will need transport as soon as the tests are done.

My daughter & son-in-law took my wife home as she was exhausted.

I had the blood test and again came back negative which we knew that would be the case and we couldn’t understand why this test had to be done once again.

My wife telephoned about 7. 30 and was told by the staff nurse that I was not coming home that evening and that I would be home sometime in the morning, as there was no transport for me.

My wife was as you can imagine very upset and mentioned to the nurse that the doctor had reassured us that I would have transport as soon as the test results came back, the nurse was not very professional and told my wife, if you want your Husband home you will have to come and get him yourself and that the doctor should have not assured you that transport would be available as the transport office closed at 5:00.

My wife asked if I would be able to have a taxi home, as I was given a taxi the last time I was in hospital and there wasn’t transport available. She was quite rude and said that was not possible.

The nurse came and told me of the conversation with my wife and that transport would be arranged for the next morning at some point.

I understand that the Doctor shouldn't have assured us of transport but the fact remains that they did and based on that information the family made the decision to go home. If the Doctor had said that there would be a problem getting transport I could have asked that if the final blood test was really essential or not then I would have gone home with my family or stay overnight (taking valuable bed space on a busy ward).

Also as a member of the public I trust that whatever a doctor tells me is good and with some authority and so wouldn't question it.

I realise the nurse in question had just come on shift and had this handed to her but her approach to it was not the best and certainly not what I expect.

I wasn't feeling too comfortable and maybe stressing a little also because on I had had an hernia operation which was still causing me discomfort and pain so sensible transport was an issue to me.

Just as I was settling down for an overnight stay the nurse came and woke me to say that my son in law was on his way to collect me because he didn't want me in overnight with no guarantees of what time I would be home next day. Bearing in mind he had to sign off duty as a fireman, his time could have been better served for the general public.

Other points I feel I should mention are as follows.

The telephone was left to ring even though nurses were sat near it just chit chatting, those calls are probably from anxious relatives wanting information.

One of the doctors had a patients file open on a waste bin in middle of ward and was talking loudly on the phone to someone about the notes in the file. Where is the patient confidentiality in this instance? .

The nurse attending me seemed to have the attitude that everything was too much trouble for her and she kept forgetting things, My wife asked if I could have another dressing for my Hernia op wound two times and I still didn't get one before I even left. Other patients around me asked for things and she forgot those also which caused distress and discomfort for one patient.

There were no apologies, no compromise or even a caring attitude. I have to say this gives the NHS a really bad name, I know that this is not the case across the board. Due to my experience this time I felt this needed to be brought to your attention and issues addressed and hopefully sorted out for the future so that NNUH will be the most respected Hospital across the UK.

Its very disappointing that I have had to write this on this occasion, because my past experiences have been very good patient care.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Janice Bradfield, Senior Communications and Membership Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

We are sorry to hear that you had such a long wait for test results and this affected your transport home. Patient transport is arranged with a contractor and the service runs until 5pm. We are sorry that the doctor was unaware of this fact when he advised you.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story