"Successful operation on prostate (TURP)"

About: Royal Free Hospital

Anything else?

Successful operation on prostate (TURP) I had an benignly enlarged prostate for years and kept putting off treatment for years. This was a mistake! Eventually I went into retention (couldn't pee) and had to be admitted to A&E in great pain. A catheter was fitted (uncomfortable but not so terrible!) and I had to return a few weeks later to have the catheter removed. The nurses in the TWOC clinic are wonderful. Matter of fact and reassuring. Still couldn't pee so saw the Urology registrar and a date was arranged for an operation to widen the passage in the prostate. He explained very well what would happen and its consequences. Six weeks later I had the pre-op assessment, carried out by very courteous staff. The day of the op came and I was very nervous but all the nursing staff preparing me were wonderful and helpful. I had an epidural (injection in the spine) as an anesthetic. Again uncomfortable but bearable. The operation went on with me conscious but not feeling anything. In the recovery room it took some time for the bleeding to subside but this is common. I wasn't in pain and so OK.The surgeon was solicitous and caring. He said if necessary he would operate again there and then to stop the bleeding. I admired his commitment as I know he had already had a 12 hour day . Luckily it wasn't necessary. In the Urology ward I was treated wonderfully by the nursing staff on whom a great demand was made to constantly replace my irrigation trays all through the night.. I must have had contact with a dozen ward staff and found them all cheerful and helpful. I can even remember the names of many of them. The bed was in a very clean room, cleaned ever morning by the same ward assistant, and inspected by a third party. The adjoining bathroom and toilet were spotless. I enjoyed the food too. There was enough choice. My nursing care was excellent; I was constantly monitored and checked. Visiting arrangements were good. It was, as I said to my wife, as good as the Hilton. I was kept in an extra day to make sure the internal wound had healed. So everything went well. the only thing that went wrong was in the recovery period at home when I did not rest enough and brought on the bleeding again because of exertion. However this gradually abated and the TWOC clinic saw me again to dismiss me with the reassurance that should I need to contact them I should not hesitate. Conclusion? The RFH did a great job. I have no criticism of anyone or anything. It seems that not everyone who writes a review had such an experience. Sometimes I think people are disappointed because they are ill and become critical. I learned from this- Don't put things off until a problem occurs. When recovering take it easy as the doctors advise. Generally keep yourself well-informed about your case and discuss it with the staff. And keep a sense of humour! Well done RFH!

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Royal Free Hospital

Thank you so much for taking the time out to give us feedback. We will pass this onto the relevant teams and we are really pleased to hear of your positive experience at the Royal Free.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story

Recently read