"Access to community mental health in Edinburgh"

About: Royal Edinburgh Hospital / General Psychiatry

(as a carer),

Having real trouble getting access to mental health services in Edinburgh for my husband - when he is in crisis he gets drunk, and then (understandably) none of the services will see him. The crisis then ususally spirals out of control and he gets into trouble with the police/justice system....I can't seem to get him out of this viscious circle. When he's not in crisis, he appears not to need services, and he is so worried about being admitted as an intpatient that he'll talk his way around the assessment team so they will leave him alone. He'll end up in prison before long, but noone seems to be able to help.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Stuart Wilson, Director of Communications and Public Affairs, NHS Lothian

I am extremely sorry to hear about the problems you are having. It cannot be an easy time for you or the family.

Unfortunately our mental health services would be able to offer little in the way of help for a situation like this one. One service that could help with this is ELCA (Edinburgh and Lothian Counselling on Alcohol). Their contact details are elca@btconnect.com, 0131 337 8188

The other avenue you could try is to attend your GP. The GP will be able to assess the whole problem and make a referral accordingly based on what is found.

I do hope that you are able to find the right solution to this and I hope the advice offered has been useful.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story