This is Care Opinion [siteRegion]. Did you want Care Opinion [usersRegionBasedOnIP]?

"Nothing The young SHO who 'treated' ..."

About: East Surrey Hospital

(as a relative),

What I liked


The young SHO who 'treated' my daughter was arrogant, rude and clearly inexperienced.My daughter was left without severe head pain management for several hours, and even when a prescription had been agreed, it was only administered on my request. She was left in a corridor and I had to fight to be heard on her behalf. The SHO in question said my daughter did not need rehydration after I explained that she had vommitted 15 times and had diahorrea for 4 days and now 4 days later she had collapsed. I also believed she had 2 other infections which needed exploring - and she had a history of illness. The SHO argued against the other infections too. My daughter had had severe head pain, throat pain, had had Novovirus and 4 days after had collapsed at home and lost consciousness. Eventually the SHO sought the Consultant's opinion about rehydration - who agreed with me - and after a litre of intravenous fluid her head pain disappeared. However the SHO sought to ignore a difficult history of glandular fever and another particular health condition which she has . The next day my daughter was still terribly unwell, this time I take her to the GP- who said she had three infections as well as having been dehydrated. He prescribed her strong antibiotics and she took nearly three weeks to recover. (At one point a nurse had wanted to place my daughter's trolley beside a man on another trolley who was vomitting. There was no screen or infection control protection between clearly very sick people and I refused for my daughter's trolley to be placed beside him - in case she caught what he may have had.The nurse impolitely said to me that I needed to remember 'this was a hospital', I felt like saying 'then it should act like one'.

My husband was 'treated' here too- he was left for 8 hours post A&E admission with an appendicitus before seeing a doctor. He was also left in the A&E public area at 3 am in the morning sitting in a chair after an ambulance admission of anaphalactic shock caused throgh pain.He was put on a chair as no-one came out to see him. After 20 minutes he could not cope with the pain so he laid on the floor . About an hour later when he had been alone in this state of agony he banged on the door to the admission unit. They let him in and put him on a trolley and he was left without any doctor's attention till 11am the next morning. His appendix was at the point of bursting when he finally saw a doctor - 8 hours later. I had arrived a.m. and advised staff that his blood pressure had severely dropped. The doctor wasa then called .He was then taken as an emergency to theatre.

I can honestly say my family will never go to this hospital again. I have worked in Health Service Management for several years and this place has to be the worst I have ever seen. I am also an inspector of services and think this hospital is an embarassement.

What could be improved

see above logo
Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from East Surrey Hospital 16 years ago
East Surrey Hospital
Submitted on 12/02/2008 at 13:20
Published on on 17/07/2008 at 09:30

We are deeply saddened by this commentary and would be very keen to hear directly from this contributor so that we may investigate the specific issues raised through our formal complaints system.

The Chief Executive

East Surrey Hospital

Canada Avenue


Surrey RH1 5RH

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful
Next Response j
Previous Response k