"Telephone Consultation"

About: Belfast City Hospital / Gynaecology

I was shocked to receive a phone-call from The Belfast Trust the day after an urgent Gynae referral was made, by a very good & thorough locum GP.

I was invited to pick a time for the phone call which was only a couple of days away.

The Doctor who rang me was very reassuring & supportive e.g. I could ask questions and wasn’t made to feel to stupid. I was further reassured when I was told there would be a follow up/review consultation by phone at a later date.

It was only a 12 minute phone-call, but it has made a massive difference to a problem which had lasted for months. The symptoms I experienced were dramatic, upsetting  & created considerable difficulty for my daily life.

The phone call restored my confidence & lifted a lot of anxiety. I’m extremely grateful,

Response from Paul McCarthy, Service Manager, SPECIALIST HOSPITALS & WOMEN'S HEALTH, Belfast HSC Trust last week
Paul McCarthy
Service Manager, SPECIALIST HOSPITALS & WOMEN'S HEALTH,
Belfast HSC Trust

Service Manager for Gynaecology including Regional Fertility Centre, GUM and Sexual & Reproductive Health

Submitted on 26/11/2021 at 11:55

Hello Anne

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback on our service. We appreciate hearing how the telephone consultation was helpful to you. I understand that this was a challenging situation for you and I was glad that our service was able to reassure you.

I am pleased that being able to access a quick telephone conversation made a big difference to the concern that you had.

As a service we recognised that with lengthy waiting times for face to face appointments, being able to access a quick telephone conversation is very reassuring to many patients and is a service that we have developed and plan to continue with.

Thank you again for your kind words and I will ensure this is shared with all of the Team.

Many thanks again