"Sons Neck Lump"

About: Aberdeen Royal Infirmary / Radiology (X-rays and Scans)

(as a parent/guardian),

NHS GRAMPIAN - My Son found a lump under his neck when he was about 15/16 (2013/2014) which was a pea sized lump and was moveable. We took him to the GP who suggested he maybe had been ill and didn't realise and this was a resultant lymph node swelling. I'm a worrier and would ask my Son daily "Is it still there" and I think in time he got fed up of me asking he told me it was gone.

Anyway he then left for America for 4 years and then returned July 2020. We got talking one day about someone i knew with a neck lump and he said "Oh yeah i still have that lump on my neck". I was horrified and took him straight to the GP. GP wasn't sure if it was lymph node of cyst however referred him to radiology.

Over a year passed waiting and finally we had a date to see radiology and would you believe it the day before the appointment we got a call to say they were cancelling! no explanation why, just were sorry were cancelling! absolutely shocking! I take some comfort from the fact my son has had this for a number of years, however it does not get away from the fact it could be something serious!

We're now sat wondering what happens next as we were given a number to call however no one ever answers. This is the real pandemic! people waiting to be seen by specialists and getting cancelled and then people presenting with serious and far gone conditions by the time they are seen!

Response from Jennifer Fraser, Support Manager, Radiology, NHS Grampian 2 weeks ago
Jennifer Fraser
Support Manager, Radiology,
NHS Grampian
Submitted on 08/10/2021 at 16:02

Good Afternoon

I am so sorry to read this, if you can email me the details then I can look into this for you and let you know what is happening.

My email is jennifer.fraser2@nhs.scot

Kind regards

Jennifer

Response from Yvonne Wright, Chief Nurse, Clinical Support Services Division, NHS Grampian 2 weeks ago
Yvonne Wright
Chief Nurse, Clinical Support Services Division,
NHS Grampian
Submitted on 08/10/2021 at 17:56

Dear branwf66

so sorry to read that you son's appointment was cancelled after waiting for a long period.

My colleague Jennifer will look into this for you and will come back to you with an alternative plan after receiving your details

Please be assured that we take matters such as these very seriously and we will be back in touch

Kindest Regards