"Ignored for hours"

About: Sunderland Royal Hospital

I took my wife to A&E after she collapsed at home and banged her head. Following advice from out GP I took her straight to A&E. Upon arriving there were no staff available to check her in and I had to wait over 5 minutes for someone to appear.

Initially things went well. We didn’t have to wait too long to be seen by a nurse and she was admitted directly to the ward for assessment and tests.

After an ecg and having a cannula placed she was then left unattended for hours. FIVE members of staff dedicated all their attention on the drug addict in the next bed, even leaving the ward to buy him a can of Coke. Whilst he was getting all the focus she vomited 15 times, was shivering cold and had nothing to drink. Eventually a staff member gave her a small cup of water and said they would return to sort her after my wife complained she was cold and uncomfortable with the bed in the position it was. Needless to say she didn’t get a blanket or any other form of care until eventually she was dismissed and told to collect her meds from the pharmacy. The staff didn’t even bother to remove the cannula from her arm before sending her out to wait for me to collect her from the waiting area.

Overall very poor care. Disgusting that staff would go buy drinks for a drug addict and completely ignore the patient in the next bed who was groaning and vomiting. I find it unacceptable that my wife was shivering and cold for hours because no staff member could be bothered to check on her and provide something as basic as a blanket. At the very least they could have checked regularly if she needed anything to drink!

We have used other departments at the hospital which overall have been excellent. Such a shame that the team on duty at A&E today seemed to only care about certain patients and fail to provide even, what I would consider, minimum care (water and a blanket) to others.

nhs.uk logo

Response from Melissa Moore, PR and Social Media Coordinator, South Tyneside and Sunderland NHS Foundation Trust last month
Melissa Moore
PR and Social Media Coordinator,
South Tyneside and Sunderland NHS Foundation Trust
Submitted on 22/10/2021 at 11:51

Hi there, all feedback is important to us both good and bad, so that we can continue to learn and improve. We're sorry to hear of your experience at Sunderland Royal Hospital and should you wish for us to look into this further please contact our advice and complaints team on:

Email: stsft.adviceandcomplaints@nhs.net