"Health Anxiety"

About: Inclusion Thurrock (IAPT)

I have suffered with health anxiety from a fairly young age. A lot of the time I have managed to deal with it with occasional flare up but it normally gets worse when I am going through a stressful time. When my parents died after dealing with the initial sadness and shock I reverted to worrying about my own health.

When I hear of someone else’s death or loss I end up mirroring the symptoms of their illnesses.

Most recently Covid has affected my condition immensely. I contacted My Doctor for help and she referred me to Inclusion.

I initially joined group online sessions for more general anxiety. This helped me recognise that I was not the only person to feel the way I did and I could learn and understand the symptoms both physical and mental.

After the course I opted to explore my Health Anxiety with an online course and a supporter that I spoke to every three weeks.

I found the whole experience very useful and helped me to be more logical about my catastrophizing, symptom checking and endless research into ailments.

I would have liked to continue with my supporter meetings for a little longer, maybe every six weeks.

I do appreciate that resources probably wouldn’t allow that but I feel that I have relapsed a little since losing my supporter.

I understand that I could reconnect after 3 months if I feel I need to. I hope that I can overcome and stay on track.

I think I would find some sort of forum useful where I could discuss my issues with other Health Anxiety sufferers, maybe chaired occasionally by one of the supporters.

I would highly recommend the services that Inclusion can offer.