This is Care Opinion [siteRegion]. Did you want Care Opinion [usersRegionBasedOnIP]?

"Decompression and Microdiscectomy"

About: BMI the Huddersfield Hospital

L5/S1 Decompression and Microdiscetomy

Really mixed feelings about this place and the whole experience. Firstly when I went for my pre op etc I was told that I needed to stop taking certain meds 7 days before my operation. This was 6 days before my operation, luckily I had guessed this myself and stopped taking them... Not a great confidence boost as any blood thinners could have caused complications. On the day of the op I arrived and was shown to my room I would be staying in during my stay. Kudos on trying to freshen the place up but the strong smell of paint/gloss definately didn't go down too well and makes not drinking a bit more difficult when it's burning you to breathe. I understand that my admission time is not the time of my operation but over 4 hours later from being admitted to going for surgery.... Was thirsty work. Being told to drink plenty of fluid leading upto the op but then going 5 hours without a sip of water was harsh... Surely they knew roughly when I would be going to theatre and could change the time for my last water intake so I could have a drink to sooth the burn from the gloss. The op I think went well, not sure as I was sleeping.... But then coming round I was in agony and although I was telling them I was in pain and the pain was in my back and legs I was told "yes you had surgery on your back". This is the second time I have had this operation and knew this pain wasn't normal, I literally had to writhe in pain whilst trying to explain what was wrong a number of times before I was given any pain relief even though it was clear I was having bad muscle spasms in my legs and back causing the pain. On return to my room I was left until approx 8pm when I had to ask for somerhing to eat as it had been over 24 hours since I had eaten. Now don't get me wrong.... The food was dam nice... Just a shame I had to ask for it almost 2 hours afyer coming out of surgery. Then there was the room, the general area was clean and tidy but closer inspection showed a different story. And the bathroom was pretty dam drubby. There was tape over the seat saying "sanitised for your protection" or similar.... I'd day this same tape had been on there for a while, it was just grubby everywhere and not what I'd expect from a hospital.

As for the team, couldn't really fault them. All were pretty good.

Final point is that I was given a pack to take to my doctors for a dressing change but I was sent home in the same dressing that was applied after surgery, nobody checked my wound on discharge or changed the dressing that is covered in dry blood due to leakage or some sorts (so much so it bled through onto the bed sheets). Last time I had this op my wound was checked and dressing changed to a waterproof one so thst I could at least shower, right now I've gone 5 days with baby wipe "showers" and have had to book into my doctors earlier than asked so that I can get this disgusting dressing off and for them to check my wound. logo
Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››
Next Response j
Previous Response k