"My mother's treatment"

About: Timberdine Unit Worcestershire Royal Hospital

(as a relative),

My mother was admitted into this place for rehab after treatment for a urinary tract infection at the Worcester Royal Hospital. She remained there for almost three weeks (during the pandemic) and my family and I were unable to visit her. although we called daily by phone, much of the time we could not get through, when we did we were informed that our mother was eating well and her vital signs were good. When I finally did manage to visit my mother I was suddenly informed on the phone by one of the Drs that my mother was at end of life. I was astonished, horrified, shocked and asked why? How is that possible? I was told sometimes these things just happen.

That to me was not an acceptable or considered medical explanation! My mother complained to me about her treatment when I visited her that same day, she wanted to leave and go home, she was distressed, angry and frustrated. She had a huge water blister on her foot and sores on her bottom. I asked for my mother to be discharged, but I was prevented from taking her home until a hospital bed could be set up at her house, in that time my mother's health continued to decline, it was deeply upsetting to her and for our family, despite the fact that she said she wanted to walk and my mother promised me that she would not give up; a conversation that we recorded (she was physically fit and well before the UTI and exercised regularly at home with me, doing squats and weights three times a week, I am a qualified personal trainer).

Tragically on her return home my mother was no longer conscious and I was told by the same Dr not to give her water and a Respect form had been written that attempted to prevent me from sending her back to the hospital, because it would be -pointless (as stated on their form) to do so. Fortunately the doctor visited and called the hospital, paramedics were sent over and overruled the rehab centre Respect form and my mother was taken back to Worcester Royal Hospital and placed in intensive care, where she was given a fifty fifty chance of survival, there was still hope, despite the Rehab centre's (Timberdine Nursing Unit) attempt to block further medical intervention.

However the delay in returning her to hospital proved fatal in my opinion and my mother died from dehydration and pneumonia. I strongly suspect this was due to three weeks of my mother lying on her back at this rehab hospital, her autopsy showed no other illness or disease, nothing terminal, understandable as only three weeks before she was still doing squats and walking without issue! I have become very mentally unwell because of this horrendous and appalling experience and intend to take this matter further when I am fully recovered, action will be taken. My mother was a good hearted, kind and generous human being and her life should never have been disregarded and devalued in what I strongly believe was such a callous and uncompassionate approach to her care. No one should watch their mother die in such a manner. My mother is greatly missed by her friends and family. She was a wonderful support to all of us. Personally I miss her humour, hugs, conversation, tea in her garden, our day trips out and the walks we took together on the Malverns (she loved to see the bluebells on the Hills in Spring). Recent happy memories that are often too upsetting to think about. So sorry mum, wish I'd brought you straight home from hospital. Love you always.

Response from Alex Marshall, Complaints Manager, Worcestershire Royal Hospital last week
Alex Marshall
Complaints Manager,
Worcestershire Royal Hospital
Submitted on 28/04/2021 at 16:05
Published on Care Opinion on 29/04/2021 at 09:31

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback; I am so sorry to hear about your experience, and on behalf of our Trust I offer my sincere condolences for your loss.

It is clear from your comments how distressing this has been for you; it is very important to us to ensure that we do everything we can to address your concerns and answer your questions.

When you are ready, we would be grateful if you could contact our Patient Services Team on 0300 123 1732 or via email at wah-tr.PET@NHS.net, with your details and your mother's name, so that we can work with you to investigate your concerns and provide you with a response.

Regards,