"Endoscopy, interpreter services"

About: Altnagelvin Area Hospital / General Surgery

. I want to explain about what happened when I received my letter from the hospital to book my test. I used the remote interpreter booking agency InterpreterNow to make the appointment. There was an initial issue because a nurse was to contact me remotely at an agreed time but the link they emailed didn’t work, so I had to call them using InterpreterNow.

The nurse Maria was fantastic, even though we had never met and I wasn’t sure if she would be Deaf aware, she knew how to work with an interpreter, which felt good. She prepared me for what to expect from the procedure. I wasn’t expecting her to provide me, unprompted, with a number I could text if I had any queries because she was aware, as a Deaf person, telephoning the service isn’t accessible. I’m really grateful to Maria and HSC for understanding the difficulties Deaf people face when people are not aware of our needs, especially during the pandemic.

I also want to say how impressed I was with the instructions before procedure leaflet explaining fasting and when to take the medication in preparation for the procedure. It was fantastically clear and the use of diagrams instead of reams of text was invaluable.’

It’s great to see the service is Deaf-friendly and that the leaflet we worked on has had the desired effect.

Response from Vi Gray, Patient & Client Experience, Professional Nursing, Western Health & Social Care Trust 9 months ago
Vi Gray
Patient & Client Experience, Professional Nursing,
Western Health & Social Care Trust

encourage people to share their experiences of health and social care, what matters to you, what you particularly liked or disliked so that we can share with the relevant department, and staff .

Submitted on 15/02/2021 at 19:24

Hello horologiumtc44

Thank you for your positive comments about the Unit and the Interpreting Services. Your feedback was shared with the Unit Manager, Equality and Involvement,and Maria who has asked me to share her response

"It was lovely to receive this feedback for our unit and encourages us to strive to make all of our patients' experiences as stress free and straightforward as possible. I have to compliment the InterpreterNow interpreter who guided me through the process, she was excellent. Thank-you for the feedback which is a reassurance to us that we are providing a service which is accessible to all"

regards