"Waiting Times"

About: University Hospital Wishaw / Gastroenterology University Hospital Wishaw / Urology

Firstly I know we are in the middle of a global pandemic and I appreciate all the hard work by NHS staff. We are always being told the NHS is open for business so see you're GP etc.

Unfortunately I find myself waiting to been seen for 2 different specialities. One referral I've waited 10 weeks to be seen (have now been told waiting time is 15 weeks) the second I have waited 7 weeks (been told waiting time is 40 weeks!).

As I've said I know things aren't normal but does the 12 week treament time guarantee no longer apply as set by Scottish Government? The information I've been given is 15 weeks to see colorectal and 40 weeks to see Urology!

Both my issue affect my daily life in different ways and I'd like to have them addressed.

Response from Lesley Mallon, Quality Improvement Co-Ordinator, NHS Lanarkshire Headquarters, NHS Lanarkshire 2 weeks ago
Lesley Mallon
Quality Improvement Co-Ordinator, NHS Lanarkshire Headquarters,
NHS Lanarkshire
Submitted on 11/11/2020 at 17:01

Dear Piloman

Many thanks for posting your feedback on Care Opinion. I was very sorry to read of the delays you have encountered whilst waiting to see specialists in NHS Lanarkshire.

As you will be aware, the NHS across Scotland is facing unprecedented challenges to meet the demand placed on its services in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic. Decisions to suspend some activity across NHS Lanarkshire is imperative to allow our staff and services to focus on providing life-saving treatment to patients with the most urgent care needs. Other than this, appointments and services will continue for specific patient groups based on their clinical need.

I am very sorry you have been affected by these changes and deeply regret the stress and worry this has undoubtedly caused.

Lesley

• Piloman doesn't think this response is helpful
    {{helpful}} other {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} it is helpful

Update posted by Piloman (the patient)

As I said initially I understand the pressures on the NHS due to Covid, can you clarify what services are suspended? Ever since my initial referral re colorectal around 4 years ago the waiting times have been very high, having to chase up follow ups etc because they never happened. All this time later I’m still in daily pain. Regarding the urology referral is 40 weeks the average wait or are clinics suspended?

I was referred to both departments by my GP. I had to call up referral management to see what was happening with the referrals. No communication whatsoever to say if these clinics are even running?

So are the wait times I was give from referral management of 15 weeks and 40 weeks the actual wait? Is there not a responsibility of NHS Lanarkshire to refer to another area when waiting times are so high? People having knee or hip surgery are sent to private hospital as a matter of course?

Lesley Mallon
Quality Improvement Co-Ordinator, NHS Lanarkshire Headquarters,
NHS Lanarkshire
Submitted on 16/11/2020 at 14:33

Dear Piloman

Thank you for commenting on my response. Unfortunately, I am not able to provide you with the information you have requested around specific waiting times. If you would be happy to, please contact my colleagues in Patient Affairs who should be able to provide you with further information in relation to the current waiting times for your treatment. You can contact them either by emailing PatientAffairs.Wishaw@lanarkshire.scot.nhs.uk or by telephoning 01698 366558.

Kind regards.

Lesley

• Piloman thinks this response is helpful