"Nothing offered to patients"

About: West Scotland Breast Screening Centre

Referred here by GP after discovery of lump in breast (during corona virus lockdown).     Shielding for my husband and to some extent myself (diabetes) so was a reluctant to go to Glasgow as was fairly sure would be something minor.     Had a truly awful experience.

Staff are very well protected with PPE but absolutely nothing offered to patients - no hand gel, no opportunity for handwashing, no face mask and no indication that staff were even changing gloves between patients - didn't change gloves in consulting room either at start or end of consultation, which would have been reassuring.     To top it all, examination took about 60 seconds, told me the breast tissue was normal and the same on both sides, despite there being a defined lump on one breast that is NOT on the other.     No test, no ultrasound, no explanation of what the lump, which appeared out of the blue three weeks ago, was.     Don't think they even found it.

Wish I hadn't put my husband's life at risk - won't be doing again.   Will however make sure that my experience is recorded should anything happen to me.

Response from Rachel Pyle, Patient Experience Project Manager, Patient Experience Team, NHSGGC 2 months ago
Rachel Pyle
Patient Experience Project Manager, Patient Experience Team,
NHSGGC
Submitted on 15/06/2020 at 15:33

Hello Loobs,

Thank you for taking the time to share this post with us on Care Opinion. I am very sorry to read of your experience. It does not meet with the standard of care we expect for our patients and you have raised a number of concerns we would welcome the opportunity to look into in more detail. Could you please share your name, date of birth and CHI Number (if you have it to hand), so that we can investigate for you? My address is Rachel.pyle@ggc.scot.nhs.uk

Best wishes,

Rachel

• Loobs thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by Loobs (the patient)

Thanks Rachel. I'll email you directly.