"Was not overly worried about coronavirus but now?"

About: Royal Cornwall Hospital (Treliske) / Emergency Department

(as a relative),

i am in hospital regular basis with my daughter on emergency admittances she is diabetic one and has other serious medical problems.

i know how busy it is and you have to park trolleys by resus - we are in every couple of weeks. One day in Feb, early hours, there was an emergency admittance of a young women on trolley next to us with difficulty breathing - coughing spluttering sweating  in trouble, i later spoke to her partner and he said she had been getting worse over the last 10 days or so.

I didnt really think much of this as i was too worried about my daughter, its only now that both myself and now my partner are showing some of the symptoms of the virus but not the high temp so i dont think we have it, we were less than 1 mtr from this lady who was spluttering and coughing.

Surely just by going by what her partner had told the nurse what her symptoms were - or just by observing her - she should have been isolated immediately.

Response from Jess Saunders, Patient Experience Coordinator, Patient + Family Experience Team, Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust 6 months ago
Jess Saunders
Patient Experience Coordinator, Patient + Family Experience Team,
Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust
Submitted on 19/03/2020 at 11:25

Dear tonyMc,

Thank you for taking the time to share your story with us. I have spoken to the Matron for the Emergency Department here at the Trust for further advice. He informs us that this has been a fast moving situation and each day advice and guidance is changing. We are uncertain of when in February 2020 you were with us, but in February there was no COVID-19 guidance regarding its symptoms specifically and the isolation of patients presenting them. It was in March that this changed and now the Royal Cornwall Hospital and West Cornwall Hospital has a designated areas for patients with symptoms to be isolated while waiting to be assessed by a Healthcare Professional.

We hope you or your partner are feeling better, we encourage you, and your family and friends to look at the useful NHS advice on COVID-19 which can be found here:

Thank you again for taking the time to share your story with us.

Best wishes,