"Cullen - Eating Disorder Clinic"

About: Royal Edinburgh Hospital / General Psychiatry

I feel completely let down by the Royal Edinburgh's Cullen center for eating disorders. I was placed on the waiting list last year when my weight started to decrease, and I began to focus obsessively on restricting food and losing weight. It took a long time to hear back but I appreciate the length of the waiting list so I understood it would be a while before I might receive an appointment. In that time my mental health got really bad; I left university, was out of work, was overdosing a lot and ended up one time in A&E where I wasn't offered help because of my place on the Cullen waiting list.

I received an appointment thanks to continued pushes from my GP (who was amazingly supportive). My therapist didn't seem to think there was any real point in me being there. I went for an assessment appointment months before my first therapy session (with both being the same person I saw).  They didn't seem to remember and got a lot of things wrong like constantly wanting to talk about the fact I cut myself, when I have never done that. I was also offered appointments with the Dietitian, who I cannot fault as They were incredibly understanding and informative and caring.

My therapist went off sick for months, and I received a letter for an appointment after Christmas (this year). I phoned back within the designated 2 weeks so as not to be removed from the list of patients. i hear nothing back until I phoned mid January. Still I have heard nothing and I'm left with no one to go to because my GP (different surgery) will not help because I am down as receiving help from the Cullen center.  I feel so alone now and I can feel everything's getting worse again.

Response from Jeannette Morrison, Head of Patient Experience, NHS Lothian

Dear Anonymous214

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and it sounds as though you are having a really difficult time.

I would be happy to look into this for you and to allow us do this we would need some further details. If you would like us to do this I would be grateful if you can please contact the Patient Experience Team:

Email: feedback@nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk

Telephone: 0131 5363370

I am aware of the length of time patients are waiting for services in the Cullen Centre which is longer than we would like. In the meantime I have shared this post with the management team of the Royal Edinburgh Hospital so that they are aware of your feedback.

Please can l apologise for your experience and would encourage you to get in touch with the Patient Experience Team if you feel able.

With kind regards