"I will forever remember this turning point and the start of my “second” life.."

About: Musgrove Park Hospital / Cardiology South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

n behalf of my wife and myself I would like to thank the excellent staff in the CCU for saving my life at the beginning of February when I was blue lighted to Musgrove Park Hospital after a cardiac arrest at church whilst bell ringing.

My good fortune is to be alive, all thanks to the friends by my side at the time who performed CPR, used a defibrillator available nearby in the village and the dedicated ambulance staff who called in the CCU team led by Mo who awaited me on arrival at Musgrove Park.

Within 3 hours and after a very difficult insertion of two stents I was safely in bed on the CCU ward.

What wonderful dedicated staff you have. The care I received was absolutely first class and second to none. We enjoyed much banter and laughter which helped in what was a very frightening episode in our lives.

I wished to give praise where it is due and have already sent a thank you card to everyone on the ward.

Everything about the hospital shouted quiet efficiency to me, from the surgeons, nurses, cleaners and the staff who served up the excellent food, to the car park staff. All helped to turn a horrible experience into a positively pleasant one.

I am also so very grateful, as is my wife, for arranging accommodation for her in the League of Friends Bungalow, which was such a peaceful haven amidst the unexpected chaos. This saved my wife from driving daily to and from home. We will be expressing our thanks to them also.

All in all such a positive experience and when a place as large as Musgrove Park runs so well, I feel much of this emanates from leadership at the top.

Words are not sufficient for the thanks which I wish to extend to you and all who looked after me so very well. I am so grateful for my life being saved and I will forever remember this turning point and the start of my “second” life.

Response from Philip Shelley, Facilities Manager, Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Dynger the Ringer,

Receiving an email from a patient that has gone through such a traumatic experience is quite overwhelming. It is obvious that that the care you received was exemplary and of course that gives the hospital an enormous amount of pride.

As a Facilities Team, we are responsible for a number of areas, such as portering, catering, cleaning and the car park contract. So it is extremely encouraging that our teams were supportive in helping your recovery. I will take great pleasure in sharing your message to colleagues and hope that you continue your recovery.

Thanks again

Phil

• Dynger the Ringer thinks this response is helpful

Response from Diana Cooper, Senior Nurse, Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Dynger the Ringer

Thank you for taking the time to write such kind words. I am delighted that, although stressful and serious, your stay with us was a pleasant one and that you are on the road to recovery.

I will share your comments with the team in the Cath lab and on CCU. We very much appreciate hearing how our patients are doing and what they thought of their care.

Kind regards

Diana

• Dynger the Ringer thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by Dynger the Ringer (the patient)

Hello Diana

Thank you for your response. Having had time to reflect on my situation I am even more grateful for the wonderful treatment I and my wife received from everyone at Musgrove.

My wife asks me to advise that I am actually being "a good boy" and behaving myself and listening to my new body. I am very aware that you are all part of my continuing life.

As I said before words are not adequate to express my feelings of gratitude.

Best wishes

Dynger the Ringer

Good for you! I'm glad you are listening to your good lady.

We are very lucky that we love what we do; it makes it special to know that we have made a difference to people such as yourselves.

Take care both of you