"Struggling with depression"

About: NHS 24 / Breathing Space (Phoneline)

I tried to call Breathing Space as I don't have many people to talk to about this condition so decided to call Breathing Space. I think that this service depends on what adviser you get but mine sounded as if they had done a 12-hour shift without a break. There was no promoting or much in the way of acknowledgment. Whilst I appreciate that this service will help a lot of people when they are in crisis but if they had got the person I got, I don't think it would have been a positive experience. I felt disappointed at this experience but appreciate this service is available for free.

Response from Andrew Cassidy, Patient Experience Officer, Patient Experience, NHS 24 5 months ago
Andrew Cassidy
Patient Experience Officer, Patient Experience,
NHS 24

I manage Patient and Service User Feedback

Submitted on 05/02/2020 at 10:47

Dear Larsen,

Thank you for taking the time to share your story with us on Care Opinion. I was very sorry to read of your experience when you called Breathing Space, and I would like to assure you that I will share your story with the appropriate staff.

Breathing Space is primarily a listening service for people experiencing low mood and anxiety. Our staff are highly trained, as listening and empathy are essential qualities in their role. I am sorry that you had such a poor experience when you called, and I am sorry that you were left disappointed. The service is free, as you mention, but we expect every call to the service to be managed to a high standard.

We would like to learn from your feedback, and it would be useful for me to understand your experience in more detail. I would be grateful if you would be kind enough to contact me confidentially on 0141 337 4597 or by email at andrew.cassidy@nhs24.scot.nhs.uk so that we can discuss your call.

Thank you again for sharing your story on Care Opinion. I hope that you are now feeling better.

Best wishes,