"Trelawny Wing - awful interaction with receptionist"

About: Royal Cornwall Hospital (Treliske)

I recently phoned up the Trelawney Wing at RCHT. I was advised to do this by a receptionist in another department after struggling to book in some blood tests elsewhere.

I barely got my question out (actually I didn't even get to finish my sentence) before the person spoke to me like a 2nd class citizen and made me feel absolutely horrendous.

Why would people who work in caregiving and public facing roles treat the general public so appallingly? I reminded this particular staff member that the reason that I'm phoning is because I am ill. I didn't CHOOSE to phone up. It wasn't a fun choice that I made and I certainly didn't wake up thinking "oh I know what I'll do today. I'll phone up about some awkward blood tests! Such fun!!"

Treat us with respect and kindness. Or get a new job. It's that simple - isn't it!

Response from Jess Saunders, Patient Experience Coordinator, Patient + Family Experience Team, Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear LadyinLilac,

Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to you on here. I was very sorry to read about your experience of the reception team in the Trelawney Wing, this certainly isn't how we would expect anyone to be spoken to. I can completely understand your frustration, you don't want to be ill and having to call up at all.

I have forwarded your story onto the Reception Services Manager for comment and investigation, I am sure she will respond shortly.

Again, please let me apologise for your experience and thank you for taking the time to share your story with us.

Best wishes,

Jess

Response from Sarah Williams, Reception Services Manager, Reception Services, Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Ladyinlilac,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience when contacting the Trelawny Wing and please accept our apologies for any distress caused by the tone of the conversation. I can assure you that our receptionists strive to ensure that the patient experience is a positive one and regretfully on this occasion we fell short of your expectation in this regard.

I would be keen for us to have an offline discussion around this whereby we can use your feedback as a means of shared learning at one of our team training sessions and would be grateful if you could contact me on sarah.williams105@nhs.net

Kind regards