"A Septic Finger"

About: Borders General Hospital / Accident & Emergency

Gardening accident at the weekend, whereby I sustained a nasty chunk of wood in my little finger, which rapidly swelled to the size and colour of a luxury supermarket brand baby courgette.

A colleague who has a passing acquaintance with first aid suggested I go to the Emergency Department against my better judgement (I'm squeamish and hoped it would just go away) and I eventaully gave in. I was treated promptly with kindness and sympathy by the delightful ED nurse who took my BP, pulse and Temp, pointing out that I could be going septic.

Dr McCarthy then anaesthetised my finger (it only stung a little bit and I was very brave) and dug out a large chunk of wood which might indeed have done me a mischief. He was very skilled and professional and the whole experience was absolutely grand. Antibiotics, and no gardening for weeks: result!! Doughnuts all round, well done ED!!

Response from Karen Maitland, Assistant Service Manager for Unscheduled Care, NHS Borders

Dear Badfinger

Thank you very much for taking the time to use Care Opinion to share the details of your visit to our Emergency Department (ED).

I am very pleased to hear you received such great treatment from Dr McCarthy and a member of the nursing team. I will ensure your feedback is shared with the ED team who will greatly appreciate your positive feedback.

Well done on being brave when Dr McCarthy anaesthetised your finger and I hope it is now much better, although not too much improved that you have to rush back to the gardening!!

Best wishes,