"Upper endocopy procedure"

About: Aberdeen Royal Infirmary / Endoscopy

I was booked in to have an upper endoscopy to confirm my diagnosis of coleliac disease. I have had a long history of great anxiety around the thought of this procedure due to a fear of vomiting.

The staff at the endoscopy suite at ARI were all great. they really listened to my worries and didn't make me feel that I was being silly with my questions and concerns. they all took time to put my mind at ease and the procedure went very well with mild  sedation.

Although I   can remember most of the procedure (this was my worry and I was convinced I didn't want to remember a thing)  it was not the distressing nightmare I had imagined  and I didn't feel a second of panic or upset throughout the procedure. It was pain free and discomfort was mild.

I was back in the recovery area eating biscuits in no time and was on my way home after less than   an hour from the procedure. Your staff all deserve to be praised for their caring manner. thank you so much for making my nightmare situation a dream!

Response from Fiona Robertson, Chief Nurse, Medicine and Unscheduled Care Division, NHS Grampian

Dear Heidi111

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience following your recent endoscopy.

The team will be delighted to read of the impact that their care and compassion had on relieving your anxiety before and during the procedure and glad that your were able to head home so quickly afterwards having experienced only mild discomfort.

I will certainly share this post directly with the team and they will delighted to read such positive feedback.

With best wishes