"Came in for Support & left feeling I'm being kicked out"

About: One Recovery Bucks / Aylesbury

I came in to One Recovery to get support and to talk with someone. I spoke with a staff member, and told them that I had a bad time in December, and nearly killed myself. Instead of being supportive, I felt they put excessive pressure on me to join Structured Treatment, and then ask me to justify why I came to the service. I felt like they were kicking my crutches away, and threatening to remove the limited support One Recovery offers.

This is the second time after speaking with this particular staff member where I left the service in tears. I feel this staff member really doesn't have any understanding of how to speak to people with depression. I feel like they are confusing support, with berating someone for not making the choices they want them to.

I do need to come in and talk with someone, but I don't feel safe talking with this member of staff any more, so I will need to be assigned to someone else. And I also need contacting to let me know if One Recovery is an open access service that offers needle exchange and brief interventions to everyone, or if there is some other requirement for using needle exchange that I'm not aware of.

Response from Tracy Braddock, Service Manager, Inclusion

Firstly can I say thanks for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback of your experience using our Aylesbury service. Secondly can I apologise for the way you have been left feeling, this is never how we want the people who use our service to feel.

I can confirm to you that we do have an open access service open daily including a Wednesday evening, should people want to access for harm reduction, needle exchange, brief interventions and motivational work. This is available to all regardless of whether they access structured treatment or not. If you would prefer not to use our onsite needle exchange then we have needle exchanges being delivered from community pharmacies across Buckinghamshire.

We do understand the journey of change and realise that not everybody wants to or is in a position (for many reasons) to make changes to their using. Therefore our priority is to support people to maintain personal safety, offer support / harm reduction with their substance misuse and support other areas where it may be needed.

If you would like to speak to me directly about your experience I am more than happy to meet you in person or if you would prefer to speak to me by phone then we can do that. As I am not aware of your personal details can you contact care opinion with them or call into service and ask for me in person (leave your details if I am not on site) and I assure you I will get back in touch.

Can I apologise again for how you have been left feeling, be assured we can find a resolution so you can access and receive the help and support you need.

Kind Regards