"Presenting with symptoms of post partum psychosis"

About: Borders General Hospital / Maternity care (Ward 17)

Physical /medical maternity services for the birth of our baby daughter in November were 10/10 and the staff were on the whole very knowledgeable, polite and friendly.

I would , however like to complain about the fact that no one gave any consideration to the fact that I clearly suffer from anxiety and that my husband was not to be sent home after the birth of had to stay over. Whilst I understand that husbands cannot stay on the general ward we were very clearly told originally that he could stay on the couch in the labour ward, yet when the time came he was sent home- a drive of some 1 hr 20 mins each way.

By the Sunday, when I was very clearly presenting to anyone with any psychiatry experience whatsoever that I was presenting with symptoms of post partum psychosis the skills and demeanour of the psychiatrist was sadly lacking and my family felt intimidated. Why on earth when all it takes is me walking into St. John’s is one poster on the wall describing post partum psychosis could the psychiatry dept at BGH not recognise this. 2/10 on this front I am afraid, please don’t let this happen to anyone else in your care, so distressing for all involved.

Can someone also please seriously consider covering mental health as part of the parent craft classes, it is a serious omission given the level of anxiety and  depression we have in our society.

Response from Kirsteen Guthrie, Clinical Midwifery Manager, Maternity, NHS Borders

Dear Talis

Thank you for contacting us through care opinion, first of all I would like to congratulate you on the birth of your daughter.

I am sorry you feel your anxieties had not been addressed during your antenatal period and your husband had not been accommodated following your delivery. We aim to provide person centred care within our department.

Please contact Clinical Midwifery Manager on 01896 826038 or email: kirsteen.guthrie@borders.scot.nhs.uk to arrange a meeting to discuss the issues you have raised and how we can aim to improve our service.

Kind Regards

Kirsteen Guthrie

Clinical Midwifery Manager

NHS Borders

TD6 9BS

Response from Claire Grieve, Senior Charge Midwife, Ward 17, NHS Borders

Thank you talis for you’re feedback on your experience within the department.

I’m glad that you’re overall experience of our staff was positive.

I am aware you were accommodated in a private room antenatally to allow your husband to stay over if required. I am also aware the activity within the unit was particularly high during your postnatal period, and I am very sorry to hear your husband was not accommodated. We try our best to accommodate partners if we possibly can.

I will investigate exactly how this happened on this occasion and will be happy to discuss further should you wish to.

Kind regards