"No system in place to cancel the appointment"

About: University Hospital Hairmyres / General Medicine

Having received numerous automated calls about an appointment one morning there is a flaw in the system!   Having driven through early morning rush hour traffic for a 920 appointment at Outpatients, and having being taken very promptly, l was duly advised by the consultant that the results of my biopsy had not been received! !   This left me very disappointed and anxious.

I am sure delays can happen (the procedure took place 5 weeks 4 days ago) so why is there no system in place which contacts patients to cancel the appointment - it would not only save my time on a wasted journey but more importantly save on the precious time of a consultant! !

When does someone at the hospital find out there is no biopsy result to discuss?   I assume an automated system similar to the reminders cannot be put in place, but an alarm bell somewhere?     Still a brilliant service, but now having to wait anxiously for the outcome.     If all is well, could a phone call suffice as opposed to having to return for another appointment?     Thanks

Response from Angela Dixon, Interim Service Manager for Medical Directorate, University Hospital Hairmyres, NHS Lanarkshire We are preparing to make a change

Dear HW07

I am sorry to hear this has been your experience. We have been working with several of our services to avoid situations like this for our patients and I would very much appreciate your input in allowing me to understand the circumstances around your personal experience a little better as this will help me work with the team involved to improve this process.

I would be grateful if you could get in touch with me on 01355 584671.

Many Thanks