"Made an already unpleasant experience far worse"

About: Ayr Hospital / General Medicine

I observed & was subjected to an appalling level of care from the nursing team at station 3 ayr hospital.

I suffer with poor mental health & as a direct result of my stay in this ward, my mentally health deteriorated rapidly. I tried on multiple occasions to explain my anxiety in order to try & receive even a tiny bit more compassion & was met with blank stares & was walked away from. After 2 days of being spoken to & treated badly I had a panic attack...the staff nurse in charge put their hand up (to say stop), turned their back on me & ignored me whilst they continued counting meds, before passing me a diazepam & walking away saying nothing.

Another patient was left to console me. I was left to sob in bed from 5am the following morning & was ignored completely by the same nurse & nursing assistant, left to google mental health crisis team numbers from my hospital bed as I was too afraid to press my buzzer to ask for any assistance from the nurses & felt it would be pointless anyway.

It was only when I reported to the dr during the rounds how I was being treated that I received any semblance of compassion from the nurses. I found the whole experience dehumanising, degrading & deeply disturbing and made the already unpleasant experience of getting surgery far worse than it needed to be. I worry for any other vulnerable patients who may end up on this ward & the treatment they will receive from the nursing staff.

Response from Karen Andrews, General Manager, Surgical Services, Surgical Services, Ayr Hospital, NHS Ayrshire and Arran

We appreciate you taking the time to feedback your experience whilst a patient in Station 3. We expect all our patients to be treated in a safe and caring manner and to be treated with dignity and respect at all times. To allow us to look into the issues you have raised further I would be grateful if you could get in touch with me and provide your name and date of your admission. I can be contacted on 01292 617123 or email karen.andrews@aapct.scot.nhs.uk. I look forward to hearing from you via email or by telephone. kind regards

Karen Andrews, General Manager, Surgical Specialties.