"Understanding Borderline Personality Disorder"

About: Specialist services / Short Term Educational Programme (STEP)

(as a staff member posting for a patient/service user),

What did you find helpful about the course?

- Distinguishing between emotional mind and rational mind

- The mix of facilitators for different perspectives of BPD, nice to have an ex-service user too. I have done courses in the past which focussed on Mindfulness, which is useful, but I liked that this course went further with practical tools to use to help me in future.

- Learning some DBT techniques and seeing that I’m not the only one!

Did you find anything about the course unhelpful and if so what?

- Having thoughts validated ….the reason for this is because I already feel like I can have my thoughts/feelings validated.

What suggestions do you have for improvements to the course?

- I think the course was excellent. The only thing lacking for me as a person at the beginning of the journey is that I would like to know how I proceed with my assessment and getting a diagnosis to enable me to access the relevant support.

- Possibly more sessions.

Response from Andrea Gratton, Team Manager, Sheffield Health and Social Care NHS Foundation Trust 11 months ago
Andrea Gratton
Team Manager,
Sheffield Health and Social Care NHS Foundation Trust
Submitted on 17/10/2019 at 10:31

I really appreciate it when attendees take time to provide feedback after attending the courses.

We are really pleased to hear how helpful the course has been and that the tools/ DBT techniques learnt are relevant to attendees needs.

We recognise the importance of the peer worker role in this course and I am glad this is seen as such by attendees as well.

We are aware of some of the challenges faced by individuals in terms of a pathway through services and although our provision is a specific part of this, in terms of the 4 week course. We do recognise the challenges this can bring and are involved in discussions with colleagues regarding this.