"Thank you to the NHS!"

About: NHS 24 / NHS 24 (111 service) Royal Aberdeen Children's Hospital / Accident & Emergency (Emergency Care) Scottish Ambulance Service / Emergency Ambulance

(as a parent/guardian),

In the evening, my 3 year old daughter developed a croup cough, she woke at approx. 21:30 struggling to breathe. We have been through this before with her but it's still so scary when it happens. We tried to calm her down, took her out in cold air but it wasn’t improving. Called 111, who were lovely and they decided it was best that they call out an ambulance. When the paramedics arrived (approx. 22:00) she had calmed down a bit but they were beyond lovely, so good with her, making her smile and putting everyone at ease. An amazing paramedic called Ali and a female colleague (apologies didn’t manage to catch her name) but they were both amazing, kind wonderful people. Hospital staff were absolutely lovely too. My daughter is now fine, I was just bowled over by how kind and caring these paramedics were - real life superheroes. We are so grateful for what you do and for the NHS.

Response from Alan Martin, Patient Experience Manager, Corporate Affairs and Engagement, Scottish Ambulance Service

Dear mshall,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback on CareOpinion. I am so sorry that you and your daughter had the need for our service and that of our partners in the wider NHS. I am really pleased to read that your daughter is fine now.

I am a new father and I cannot begin to imagine what it would be like to witness your little one struggling to breathe, And you seem to have dealt with it with a very calm mind going through the motions of self management, 111 then being scooped off to the hospital by ourselves. I am not sure I would be like that and I am a paramedic.

I would really like to pass on these lovely comments to our staff. May I ask that you email my team at scotamb.feedback@nhs.net and give them the details (date and time when we attended, the address we attended and your daughters name, this will allow us to locate the job and find the staff), and make reference to this post. They will then ensure this is logged on our system and the lovely words you have said will be passed on.

I wish you and your daughter all the very best.

Kind Regards

Alan

• mshall thinks this response is helpful

Response from Shona Lawrence, Patient Experience Manager, NHS 24

Dear mshall

Thank you so much for sharing your experience on Care Opinion. I am so pleased your wee one is doing well. Although you have explained your daughter has had episodes of croup previously, I am sure each time this happens it is a frightening experience for you all.

It is good of you to thank the staff members involved in your daughter's care, especially the Paramedics who attended. They sound like a huge credit to the NHS!

Thank you for specifically mentioning the staff at NHS 24 when you called 111. I am pleased we recognised that an ambulance was required and she received excellent care in hospital.

Should you wish to provide any additional information, then I would be able to identify the staff members here at NHS 24 who managed your call. I can be contacted on 0141 337 4582 or by email at patient.experience@nhs24.scot.nhs.uk It would be good to share your positive comments with them.

I do wish you and your daughter well.

Take care

Shona

Shona Lawrence

NHS 24 Patient Experience Manager

• mshall thinks this response is helpful

Response from Kathryn Auchnie, Clinical Nurse Manager, Childrens Division, NHS Grampian

Dear mshall

Thank you for leaving such lovely feedback for all the staff involved in your daughter's care when she was admitted struggling to breathe.

This must has been a very scary time for you and hope that she is now on the mend again and doesn't get any more episodes.

I will pass on your kind feedback to the Emergency Department staff