"Increasing delays to treatment"

About: Queen Elizabeth University Hospital Glasgow / Neurology

The botox treatment at the Migraine clinic at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, Glasgow have excessive delays between appointments. Treatment is supposed to be administered every 12 weeks but the gap between treatments has increased to 20 weeks meaning patient treatment is 8 weeks late! The service is under resourced and oversubscribed affecting every patient. And we are all suffering ill health because of it

Response from Elaine Burt, Chief Nurse, Regional Services, NHSGGC We have made a change

Dear Jff,

I was very sorry to read of your experience with delays between appointments at the Headache Clinic.

I have discussed your experience with the Lead Nurse and Clinical Services Manager responsible for the clinics. They have confirmed that as a result of the increased demand on the service they have increased the number of nurses running clinics. This has enabled additional clinics to be run to try and match the competing demand. A further change they are looking at is for the patient to be appointed to the first available nurse clinic to help reduce the delays between appointments. The service are always striving to improve the headache service and I apologise for the inconvenience and frustrations this has caused.

Regards

Elaine Burt

Chief Nurse

Regional Services

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde“

Update posted by Jff (a service user)

If additional nurses have been added already then why is the gap still 20 weeks?

Response from Elaine Burt, Chief Nurse, Regional Services, NHSGGC

Dear Jff,

We had an unexpected period of sick leave within the service which meant we were temporarily reduced in capacity but this has resolved and we would aim to be back on track very soon. I hope this is helpful and I can only apologise for this delay to your treatment.

Regards