"Isolating and frightening experience"

About: Foundation House

I was really unwell for around 2 years and lacked capacity in all areas of my life. Mental health to that degree is very isolating and frightening experience, I felt constantly sick. I couldn’t and didn’t know how to ask for help I felt invisible to even realise. I feel let down by the mental health team and it was wrote that I didn’t engage in there service you must realise when a person is that unwell they fail to notice themselves how unwell they really.

I am highly allergic to oral iron especially ferrous sulphate ( in which I was given) I was clearly to unwell to make my own choices I collapsed not long after taken this pill. I was taken to my room by a staff member... I was still disoriented and unsteady to sleep it off. I then got woke up by the same staff member a few hours later and Instructed to have a meeting with a Ward psychiatrist who informed me I was allowed out for short periods.  I still felt really physically unwell.

Response from Associate Director of Mental Health & Learning Disability Services, somerset partnership NHS foundation trus

Dear Fairy dust, thank you for taking the time to post your comments, it does sound like you had a distressing time and I can understand how this made you feel frightened. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact the PALS team on pals@sompar.nhs.uk and they can forward details onto me. I hope that your physical and mental health is improving and that you have support.