"I still had no callback therefore I took him to A& E"

About: Ayr Hospital / Accident & Emergency NHS 24 / NHS 24 (111 service)

(as a relative),

I called NHS 24 for my brother one Saturday at 1pm. I explained his symptoms. He had been bitten by something on my hand. His hand and arm was red and very swollen and getting worse. He had loss of vision, dizziness, feeling faint and my lips numb and trembling. I was told I would receive a call back regarding being seen by a doctor.

at 6 pm that evening I still had no callback therefore I took him to A& E. When I went I was told he had to see a doctor immediately. He was then told he had poison tracking up his arm and a suspected mini stroke. I feel that NHS 24 have been very irresponsible in this case. Had I not taken it upon myself to take him A& E I've no idea what might have happened. To this date I have still had no callback.

Response from Shona Lawrence, Patient Experience Manager, NHS 24

Dear dkny2275

Thanks for sharing your feedback on Care Opinion and I am sorry to learn that your brother was so unwell following being bitten. I hope he is doing much better and I can only imagine what a worrying time this would have been.

I am concerned that you didn't receive a call back following your call to 111. If you would be kind enough to contact me directly with some additional detail, I will arrange a review of your call to establish exactly what happened and why no return call was made. It would be good to understand the reason for this. I can be contacted on 0141 337 4582 or by email at patient.experience@nhs24.scot.nhs.uk

I look forward to hearing from you further.

With kind regards to you both

Shona

Shona Lawrence

NHS 24 Patient Experience Manager

Dear dkny2275,

That must have ben scary for you both but well done for going to A&E. Poison trcking is an alarming thing to have. I do hope your brother is recovering well now,

Best wishes,