"Lack of mental health care"

About: Coathill Hospital / General Psychiatry

I have over 20 years history of mental health issues, and often have relied on the NHS for a therapeutic approach to help me through the toughest of times.   I don't request it lightly.

Very recently I have reached out for help again as life is very hard, with distressing suicidal thoughts.   After visiting my GP, a referral was quickly made with the GP agreeing it would be the best approach to attend psychotherapy to work through the previous diagnosis of trauma.   A response came back very quickly from Coathill to my GP, stating that they could not offer me any more assistance, and suggested self referral to peer support.   Now I have no problem with peer support, but I fail to see how services such as these can take the place of proper mental health care, using them to fill whatever gaps exist is not acceptable.   Being told basically that your not welcome to use the NHS anymore, please go away during a time of depression is, I feel,  possibly the most insensitive and Ill advised piece of cost saving nonsense I have ever seen with the NHS.   I am simultaneously extremely angry and upset, rejected and sinking further into depression. Well done Coathill, I won't reach out to you anymore, you've saved yourself some paperwork, someone else of your books.   One last word, I feel that an institution should not make a diagnosis then do nothing to help treat the issue, and have some human decency when dealing with people who are asking for help.   I expect no response, and don't especially want one to be honest, I'm so sick of my mental health being kicked around the NHS floor

Response from Rick Edwards, Programme Manager for Person-Centred Care, Quality Directorate, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear JmcG,

I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties you are experiencing accessing support at this time. The Mental Health Senior Management Team are keen to review your circumstances to understand what services and supports you were trying to access.

Could I ask you to contact the Patient Affairs Team so that they can connect your feedback to the relevant service. You can contact them PatientAffairs.Primarycare@nhslanarkshire.scot.nhs.uk or Tel No: 01698 858321

Kind regards

RIck

• JMcG thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by JMcG (the patient)

Hi, many thanks for your response. I have tried to email the above address, but it doesn't appear to be correct?

Response from NHS Lanarkshire

The email address is slightly incorrect. Can you email:

PatientAffairs.PrimaryCare@lanarkshire.scot.nhs.uk

(I.e., it's not nhslanarkshire.scot.nhs.uk)