"Going round in circles"

About: Caithness General Hospital / General Psychiatry Caithness General Hospital / Mental Health Services Caithness General Hospital / Orthotics NHS Highland (Health)

Again I feel it necessary to write and share my concerns about my wife's care.

Chronic Knee Pain which has been a issue for many many years in both knees with a mild Learning disability and her mental health becoming worse its only a matter of time before we return to this behaviour.

I will always do my best to stop her mental health getting out of hand and we was saved good mental health support in Caithness the Thurso team  worked wonders

My wife felt wanted and apart of the community after a life of very hard struggles.

Please note her psychiatrist promised to write to our gp to confirm her knees are causing her mental health to deteriorate and some other option must be available.  My wife has became addicted to over the counter pain killers due to no pain free weeks in her knees let me remind you she fell off a bus and broke both ankles as she over medicated due to knee pain and she was on a community programme approach for 2 years..

Our current 999 alarm is Flashing red as my wife has got both knees with severe chronic pain

currently its the right knee that’s the one that gives chronic pain 24/7 she cant sleep or do her charity shop regular or her branching out course with MH as the pain is so severe.

My wife has the following treatments for her knees.

Steroid injections for many years lasting for weeks to many months in the past year 2018/2019

the injections now last only 4 weeks march April 19.

She has tried creams gels exercize tried to loose weight but comfort eating stops her going mad its a circle that no one should be in she even asks the doctors to chop off my leg.

My wife has asked her gp practise physio at our practise to refer to orthopaedics we are still awaiting this confirmation of this being done. They commented your knee is knackered.

My aim for this email is to ask the medical professionals to go through my wife's case with a fine tooth comb and see

if any surgical treatments can be done.

Please remember my wife's quality of life is suffering and mine as a carer.

Please arrange a chat asap with the correct team.

Response from Gil Paget, NHS Highland

Dear Caithness Pain Sufferer

Thank you for your comments and I am sorry to hear of your concerns.

I understand that NHS Highland has been in contact with you directly and hope that this has provided you with the information you need.

Best Wishes