"Supportive Professional and Encouraging"

About: Royal Cornwall Hospital (Treliske) / Emergency Department South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust / Emergency ambulance

(as a relative),

My husband collapsed in the bathroom and as he has osteoporosis I felt he should be checked over. I rang 999 and was told an ambulance would attend asap....My husband had a temperature of 39.2 so I rang again after  a wait of well over an hour ...The crew who attended about 40 mins later were professional encouraging and very supportive...they very quickly spotted SEPSIS and began treatment immediately. We went to Treliske Hospital on Blue lights.at approx 3.30am...RESUS were expecting us and they took over his care They  sorted X rays a head scan and a scan of his bladder all before 8am ....Throughout his 7 day stay all staff from Consultants to the tea servers were Supportive Professional and Encouraging...There wasn't one occasion that could be faulted....His treatment plan was adapted to his needs as they changed  He was constantly monitored.....People  complain about the NHS but the SW ambulance service staff and the treliske staff were beyond great ..I have my husband home now ,Frail but here ...

Response from Jane Michell, Matron, Emergency Care, Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust We have made a change

Dear Hobert 12,

My name is Jane and I am the Clinical Matron for the Emergency Department.

Thank you for your review of the care your husband received recently at RCHT. There has been a lot of high profile press regarding sepsis in the last twelve months, and in the Emergency Department we have undergone a lot of change in our working practices to ensure that we are focused on recognising and improving the care and treatment of patients with sepsis and suspected sepsis.

One of the changes involves patients being directed straight through to our Resus area if sepsis is thought to be a likely cause of illness by the paramedics. We are phoned in advance by the paramedics and thus we are able to plan in advance and make sure we have Resus capacity when patients arrive. This ensures septic patients are prioritised can be given appropriate and effective treatment in a timely manner.

Your comments have reassured us that this system works and that we are continuing to improve in achieving our sepsis targets.

It is also great to hear that the rest of your husband's care and treatment was very positive both in ED and throughout the rest of his stay at RCHT. I hope he is recovering well.

Kind Regards

Jane

very reassuring to know that this system works and

• Hobert12 thinks this response is helpful

Response from Sharifa Hashem, Patient Engagement Manager, South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Hobert12,

Thank you for taking the time to share your story and I hope your husband is recovering well.

It is always rewarding to hear stories of how our staff are delivering care and support to patients and those around them when they need it most.

We would be happy to share your story with the ambulance staff involved in this instance, however, to do so we will need some specific information. If you would like us to do this, please may I ask you to contact us on either plaudits@swast.nhs.uk or 01392 261 534 and a member of the Patient Engagement Team will be happy to help you further.

Thank you, again, for taking the time to provide us with feedback.

Kind regards,