What I liked
Waiting within the normal length of time (5 hours)
2 nurses delivered an excellent level of care.
What could be improved
1. A&E Reception we're away from the desk every 20 minutes having "breaks"
2. When arriving at A&E the receptionists response (after several minutes waiting for her) was "what do you want?". I would have thought this was pretty self explanatory.
3. After a couple of hours i saw a practice nurse, was difficult to understand. Both my date of birth and surname were spealt wrong and had to be corrected twice. The nurse also proceeded to write on my notes for the doctor that i was due to have a hystorectomy not a laparoscapy.
4. When being fitted with a drip, both nurses in the room proceeded to speak amongst themselves.
5. At 8am was woken abruptly (had not had any sleep since the day before) because my blood pressure was low and they wanted me to eat something. Fair enough, except the nurse and tea lady who insisted i eat something never returned again and i was carted off to another ward.
6. After scan was told to wait in the waiting room and the nurse would come and tell me the results. This never happened.
7. Was told to stay the night again. So at 9pm to my suprise there we're nurses talking loudly and singing in the corridor, singing!
8. Abruptly woken by the nurses who wanted to take my blood pressure and told "wake up" "get up!".
9. Within the next couple of hours the doctor came and confronted me on being away from my bed. I had gone to call my mother "in order to respect the hospital's policies on mobile phones" (despite the fact they''re more than happy to charge you to use a bed side phone)
The doctor then proceeded to examine me and when i removed her hand because the pain was intense when she went to feel, she replied "stop moving my hand, how do expect to be treated if you won't let me assess you". This was my immediate reaction, and like any other patient i would like to work with doctor in order to be treated. But when you're in pain you react involuntary. The Doctor then asked a nurse to "hold my hands down"
I am use to overall an excellent NHS service. This was not.
"The worst level of care i have ever recieved on a..."
About: Northwick Park Hospital Northwick Park Hospital Harrow HA1 3UJ
Posted via nhs.uk