"Hit and miss, but overall would go back...."

About: Homerton University Hospital

Ante-natal care very good. never saw the same midwfie twice, but they were all nice and all helpful. Most of the information given in the ante-natal classes was good.

First midwife I saw on the labour ward after I went into labour was very good, helpful, on-hand when required, answered any questions. Staff on labour ward next day also very helpful lots of advice & re-assurance & close.

Eventually required an emergency c-section, consultant very good, re-assuring, provided explanations, answered all questions.

What could be improved

Staff in ante-natal clinic very overworked and there are very long waiting times - not unusual to wait 11/2 hrs for appointment even if you were the first of the day. Ante-natal classes a little disorganised - different midwives every week, none of them seemed aware that they would be running the class until they arrived at work.

I was admited to the ante-natal ward which was awful. Midwife refused to give any pain relief and then disappered for the entire night, never saw a single person until my husband returned to see me at 6am (following a tearful phonecall) and insited that I be seen by someone.

Some staff on post-natal ward bordering on rude, no help with breast-feeding after initial latching on (straight after c-section), made to feel it was my fault baby wouldn't feed - only when they insited on taking her away to be bottle fed (which she refused) did they come to the conclusion that maybe she just wasn't hungry.