"The project has brought patients and staff together"

About: Rampton Hospital

Burne ward

The Sense of Community project has brought patients and staff members together, this has had a positive effect. Also, having something positive and rewarding to be involved in has enriched my life. I have valued working with other and working on our strengths. The main challenge was getting everyone involved.

However, we managed to succeed even if everyone didn’t make the same contributions as everyone else. Being involved in the project has boosted ward morale this has had a great impact especially over the Christmas period. I think this project should continue as it not only enhances the ward environment, it also gets the hospital together and allows us to share our achievement with the greater Rampton community.

Response from Martina Griffiths, Modern Matron/Senior Nurse, Male Mental Health Directorate, Rampton Hospital

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience of the care and treatment you receive here at Rampton Hospital. The Sense of Community Project focuses on both staff and patients working collaboratively on communal projects with the aim of enhancing the ward sense of community. I am really pleased to hear that you feel that the project has been successful on your ward and that you found the experience rewarding. It is always a challenge to get everyone involved but what this project does, is allows people to contribute as and when they are able and we encourage involvement by recognising and valuing each other strengths and abilities.

As I am sure you are aware from your ward community meetings we are about to launch the next phase of the project entitled "what our ward means to us and how we work together as a community". I am with your support, once again this phase will be a huge success not only for your ward community but the wider Hospital.

I hope you have found this response helpful and I look forward to celebrating your achievements.