"Care for our Mother in Borders General Hospital Stroke Unit"

About: Borders General Hospital / Stroke Unit

(as a relative),

Our Mother was admitted after having a massive stroke. She held on to life for 10 days before she passed away.

Every single member of staff at the Stroke Unit at BGH looked after not only Mother but also the many members of our family who came to see her...Children, Grandchildren and Great-grandchildren.

They explained everything clearly, passed the box of tissues at just the right time and cared for Mother with such dignity and professionalism. They are all a truly dedicated team and they all deserve to know it. Thankyou. Xx

Response from Lynn Mccallum, Consultant Physician. Clinical Director of Unscheduled Care, Acute Medicine, NHS Borders

Dear THANKFULLY DAUGHTER IN LAW,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your Mother's care in the Borders General Hospital, particularly at this very sad time. Care of a dying person should always include the care of their family and friends as they are the ones who will go on when the person has passed away. I'm so glad that you felt that your Mother's care was good but also that we managed to look after you all as a family too, especially at such a sad time.

I will forward your kind words to the stroke team and I know that they will be incredibly grateful to you for taking the time to tell us of your experience.

With best wishes,

Lynn

Response from Jamie Thomson, Clinical Nurse Manager, NHS Borders

Dear THANKFULLY DAUGHTER IN LAW

Thank you for taking the time, especially so soon after your mothers passing to share your family's experience of the care delivered to your mother whilst in the stroke unit.

This is an example of the holistic care that we should be delivering to all patients and their families, and I hope that this care will have helped in some small way during what must have been a very sad time.

I will ensure the staff in the stroke unit are aware of you kind words.

Best wishes,

Jamie

Response from Fiona Cockburn, Senior Charge Nurse, Palliative care, Stroke care, Borders General Hospital

Dear Thankfully Daughter in law

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience of our care at such a difficult time. I know the team very much appreciate your kind words.

Sincerely Fiona