This is Care Opinion [siteRegion]. Did you want Care Opinion [usersRegionBasedOnIP]?

"Emergancy Care Services"

About: Leicester Royal Infirmary

What I liked

My experience of emergency care services.

I work as a Consultant Surgeon 200 miles away from my family who are based in Leicestershire. On this particular night my wife calls me worried+++. My 3 year old daughter was complaining of discomfort in her throat, there is some question as to whether a foreign body was swallowed earlier that evening. She is now unable to swallow her own saliva.

I call 999 - as far as I'm concerned, with such symptoms, one must rule out the possibility of this object, being lodged at the level of the opening of the larynx in the oesophagus - Coins can flip or move, leading to either normal passage down into the stomach or blockage of an airway.

The Paramedic arrived, decided that her breathing was fine and suggested that things need not proceed further. If felt necessary wife and child could drive themselves in to A&E.

* Unacceptable *, If a child gets upset, something changes/moves an airway may be lost. A mother alone driving a car with a child who now cannot breathe with no acute medical help to hand will result in a fatal outcome.

I had to point this fact out to the paramedic on the phone before safe transit proceeded. (hence the original reasoning for a 999 call)

Wife + Child were left in A&E waiting area for over an hour before review, and this only happened after suggestions were made that a review should be prioritized.

I am writing this email as my child is waiting for an Xray. Wife reports back that the doctor has been very good, along with the charge nurse. Interestingly Some transmitted chest sounds have been clinically detected by the team, but the salivary swallowing difficultly seems to have changed now. It is now nearly 5 hours since the 999 call.


What could be improved

Whether there is now a problem or not is actually totally academic.

My concern is the lack of insight of the potential disastrous events which could have transpired.

Significant symptoms which seemed to be ignored, and just disappointment in the quality of care initially received at first contact.

Writing this is maybe pointless, Should I make a formal complaint, too much paperwork for little if no gain?

Is this an isolated incident or a refection of a National Health Service, so resource limited that the paramedic feels a 999 call for a paediatric potential airway compromise should not waste their time for transfer to hospital.

I was able to argue the point, but what about those people with no medical knowledge who depend on safe decisions?EmergencyPatient careServiceConsultantsParamedicsSurgeonsOpening hoursTelephoneWaiting AreasX-rayDoctorsNursing staffBureaucracyComplaintsPaediatrics logo
Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Leicester Royal Infirmary 8 years ago
Leicester Royal Infirmary
Submitted on 09/10/2013 at 18:28
Published on on 10/10/2013 at 04:00

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments about your experience at Leicester’s Hospitals. We realise a significant amount of time has passed since you posted your comment and we would like to sincerely apologise that we did respond to in a timely manner. We have since updated our process of responding to reviews posted on NHS Choices and are now committed to making sure we respond to comments within 21 days of the date they are posted. If you would still like you comments to be investigated or passed onto the clinical team involved, please contact PILS on 08081 788337 or online at Kind regards Communications Team Leicester's Hospitals

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful
Next Response j
Previous Response k