"Did not have long to wait for the..."

About: Southend Hospital

Did not have long to wait for the appointment.

What could be improved

This appointment was for a flexible sigmoidoscopy (camera investigation of the bowel).

I was advised by the reception nursing sister that the procedure was relatively painless with a little discomfort & was persuaded not to take anesthetic as the procedure would be 'over in 5 minutes & you will be out, instead of 2hrs or more with anesthesia'.

The procedure took at least 20 minutes, most of which I was either in extreme discomfort or pain. I had tears streaming down my face at the end. (I believe myself to have a good tolerance for pain.)

NB: The Doctors comments in the report read: 'The patient tolerated the procedure well'. The doctor was obviously writing about a different patient.

Anything else?

Don't let my comments put you off going for the procedure but please, take the anesthesia.

Response from Southend Hospital 9 years ago
Southend Hospital
Submitted on 10/02/2011 at 09:13
Published on nhs.uk on 11/02/2011 at 04:00

Thank you for the feedback (your comments have been forwarded to the Trust Patient Carer Experience Group for review). If you would like to discuss your concerns further please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service pals@southend.nhs.uk