This is Care Opinion [siteRegion]. Did you want Care Opinion [usersRegionBasedOnIP]?

"Briefly - I was 23 weeks pregnant and..."

About: Medway Maritime Hospital

What I liked

Briefly - I was 23 weeks pregnant and experienced a slight bleed. My midwife referred me to the triage department within the delivery suite at Medway hospital which I visited after a brief conversation on the phone with the on duty midwife. I was examined, had a polyp removed and was discharged the same day.

The staff I encountered were pleasant to me. One in particular had a lovely manner and was great at communicating with everyone I saw them speaking to

What could be improved

The waiting room had peeling paint on the walls and was dirty. It was a hot day and when I leant back in my chair my hair stuck to the wall, which was grim.

I was initially examined to have my baby's heartbeat monitored, urine tested and blood oxygen levels checked. I then got called in to be examined by a doctor who was nice, along with another staff member they worked well together. The doctor then needed to get a consultant to check the polyp they had found during my internal examination.

The consultant was rude to the doctor and very dismissive towards them. The consultant was, however, lovely to me. The doctor was sent out to get tools the consultant needed. They seemed flustered after his dealing with the consultant. They opened the door several times whilst I was naked from the waist down and fully visible by the couples in the next room who were having their babies monitored. Like they didn't have enough to contend with already-poor souls.

The consultant then removed the polyp. This appeared to be after no discussion with anyone else. They showed it to me (good job I'm not squeamish as I wasn't given a choice) and then told me I was staying overnight. The doctor and consultant left the room. I was left alone for twenty minutes during which time the consultant came in three times to ask me questions. I was then told I could go home. Turns out the consultant had thought I was staying in anyway due to the bleed so removed the polyp without checking whereas the plan had been to let me go home and see if the bleeding stopped, then remove the polyp.

Again highlighting the communication issues between them and the doctor. My baby's heart rate was not checked again after two internals and my polyp being removed and I believe that it should have been. I was also advised that my urine would be tested as initial checks showed protein in it. Those results have never materialised.

Anything else?

On reflection, my afternoon at Medway hospital has put me off having my baby there. I would prefer to be at home with a midwife I know will listen to my wishes.

That said I haven't yet done the tour, perhaps my views will change after a full look at their facilities. logo
Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››
Next Response j
Previous Response k