"Two nurses on duty for 2 nights were..."

About: Musgrove Park Hospital

Two nurses on duty for 2 nights were all that one hopes for when in hospital, when they were on one felt free from anxiety.

The consultant & Junior doctors.

What could be improved

The attitude and mind set of the principle nurses on my ward - it was a disgrace.

Anything else?

The first night after surgery I was in considerable pain, this was not directly related to the surgery ( has since been diagnosed as trapped nerves ) so I was refused any painkillers until the day staff came on and contacted a doctor. I spent that first night in tears.

Having to lie absolutely flat and unable to sit up or move for the first three days I was washed once, or perhaps I should say scrubbed, a painful and unpleasant experience, and helped with feeding only once. Fortunately I was not hungry as a morphine drip made me very sick but it did mean I had no food for 3 days. It took an entire day before I was given medication to stop the sickness. In spite of being continually told to drink and anyway being very thirsty I had to ask repeatedly for the water to be placed within reach, this often took several hours. As for washing - it doesn't appear to be any part of hospital routine anymore, every evening I had to ask for water to wash with and clean my teeth which was then brought was done so very grudgingly. Thankfully I had a catheter.

All round it was a very distressing experience - I had to depend on others to see to all my needs for 3 days but felt very vulnerable as there was no one who appeared to care a hoot, there was neither kindness nor care or even an awareness of the plight one found oneself in. It seemed as if everything was too much trouble.